Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Status Update Hijackers.

If you're not on Facebook, welcome to the outside world. This will still tick you off.

I had a friend who announced via status update, as we all can't wait to do, that she and her husband were expecting a boy. This was their first baby, and just like any expectant mom, I'm sure she'd had that status update worded since she was 8 weeks along. You only get to do it once per pregnancy, so it's a big deal. The comments section was quickly flooded with messages of congratulations and excitement, friends and family who were thrilled for the new little family. Except one. You know you have THAT friend. The joker who hijacks your status updates. He chose the comments section of SOMEONE ELSE'S status update to announce that he and his wife were expecting their second baby. Not his own Facebook page, for all of his OWN friends and family to see and congratulate him. But someone else's sacred space. The poor original momma-to-be was then forced to share the comments and congratulations, as congratulations for him began getting intermixed with what were rightfully hers. He has since been deleted by me for an unrelated hijacking incident.

But they're out there. They're in cahoots with Betty Buzzkill. If she can't steal your joy, then they send in the hijacking clean-up team to at least dilute it.

"I'm having a great day today!"
   -Glad to hear it!
   -How awesome!
   -Praise God!
   -I wish I could have an awesome day. I just found out my sister can't pay her bills.

How on earth is anyone supposed to comment after that?

"I'm so excited, my daughter is having a girl! My first granddaughter!"
   -How exciting!
   -You'll love it!
   -What a blessing!
   -My nephew is having his third baby. They're hoping for a boy.

How is that related?! Nowhere in that status update was a question posed or family history requested.

"I'm so sick today."
   -Praying for you!
   -Hope you get better soon!
   -    :(
   -Me, too. I've been vomiting all night, had explosive diarrhea, and haven't eaten since three days ago. I could really use some prayers.

Then post your own dang status update!

Apart from the rules of general etiquette, it's especially rude to hijack a pregnancy-related status update.  Pregnant women are given a limited amount of patience and an unlimited amount of hormones. Let us have our moment. If you can't, then just don't comment. You have the ability to post your own status update for a reason. I am more than happy to pray for you, offer up congratulations to your nephew, and recommend some financial assistance programs for your sister. Just do it on your own page, dad gummit.

No comments: