Thursday, October 27, 2011

Servings Per Container.

This one angers me at any point in my life, pregnant or not.

If I open a can of Spaghettio's and glorious meatballs, I intend to eat them. With a spoon and a smile. It is not my intention to only pour half of the can into a child's bowl, eat those, and put the other half into the fridge, where they will only last for a few minutes before turning thick and brown, and thus inedible. But this is what the can thinks you should do. Because if you read the nutritional information on the label, the "servings per container" has an almost comical "2" listed. TWO?! I understand splitting it up between kids, but I'm a growing girl growing a girl. I's needs my Spaghettio's.
So while out and about, as growing girls often are, I stop at a gas station and pick up a nice, cool, refreshing beverage. I resist the thirsty pregnancy urge to buy a two-liter and a straw (most of the time), and get a modest 20 oz. bottle. Halfway through the carbonated taste explosion, I idly wonder how many calories I'm consuming. Hmm, not too bad. But wait... servings per container? That's the bottle, right? WRONG. 2.5 servings! What?! I have to share my sugary goodness with another adult and a midget?!
And you know how ramen noodles are the staple of eating on NO budget? That's because not only do they cost 10 cents a package, but you're also supposed to split the package between TWO people.

I get it. It makes the calories and percentages look better if you cut them in half (or more). Deceptive? Yes. INFURIATING? Absolutely. I just want to eat and drink without guilt. Already, as an oven cooking a bun, I have to watch out for what I consume. One can of tuna per week, at most. Very little to no caffeine. All meats must be well done. No raw eggs (which means no cake batter). There are various salad dressings, beverages, fish, and medications that are off limits. All I want is a Wild Cherry Pepsi and a few Excedrin. And now you're telling me that I just ate enough Totino's pizza for three people?! That's as bad as when you pick up your order at Taco Bell and they've included plasticware for more than just you.

So what's the moral here? Ignore the labels? Fill up your fridge with half-empty food and drink? (And no, I'm not a half-empty pessimist. They really are half-empty.) I say we fight the man. Get more honest food labels. And buy the clearanced Spaghettio's with old labels. But for now, while I am eating for two, I'll just count my unborn child as partaking in the second serving.

1 comment:

ruzzel01 said...

I suddenly felt the hunger. I wanna eat some pasta now.

gynecologist maricopa