Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Old Wives Tales.

Yes, some of them are fun.
But there is this new concept called modern science. It involves tests and sonograms and an incredible amount of knowledge regarding what goes on inside the womb.
And so, lady at Wal Mart, it will NOT hurt my baby if I lift my arms above my head. No, concerned elderly woman, holding my baby too much will not cause him to bruise. The gender of a baby cannot be determined by the heartbeat, or by my nose, or by how often I shave my legs, or even what month it is. Should a pregnant woman get a tattoo, her baby will not be born with the same marking. While there is only a SLIGHT scientific backing for the ol' belief about heartburn being caused by crops of thick hair on baby's head, it's just something that happens to pregnant gals. I lived on Zantac and stacked pillows, and my two so far were born balder than Fred Mertz.
And let's take a moment to acknowledge Woman Who Answered a Phone in a Dentist's Office for a Week and Now Has More Medical Knowledge Than Your Obstetrician. Thank you for your concern, ma'am.
So yes, we can have fun with wives' tales. But please, for the love of deductibles, don't put too much stock in them!

No comments: