Tuesday, August 9, 2011

When You Have an Opinion About My Chosen Baby Name.

This was another suggestion by a dear pregnant friend... and it's a good one!

Have you ever tried to name a baby? Not a parakeet. Not a teddy bear. Not even a horse with a pedigree whose name will appear in the lineage of greats. A baby. A person. Someone who will grow up being called by your chosen moniker. We've all heard tales of Ima and Ura Hogg. We laugh, we shudder, we tease, we compare notes... Names are a big deal. This is at the front of (almost) every pregnant woman's mind as she begins the process of selecting the most perfect name in creation for a person she hasn't even met yet. Books, websites, forums, friends, Scrabble tiles... the resources abound in choosing a name, but when it comes down to it, there is only one right name for your little one. There were no doubt negotiations, tears, pleadings, bribes, threats, and months that went into agreeing with baby's Daddy on a name, as well. So once that name, The Name, has been found, clouds part, angels sing, blankets are ordered, and a sense of satisfaction settles in: you can now call that little bean in your belly by name. Now it's "Tommy's Room" or "Emma's carseat". Billy is kicking you, not "it." You get it - once that name has been announced, it's a BIG DEAL.
So then why, why, WHY, pray tell, does everyone who can speak the same language as you find it their duty to comment, criticize, and cry foul on the name YOU chose for YOUR baby? Okay, you had an ex with that name. Fine, you had a kid in your class 17 years ago that spit in your hair with the same name. Your boss has the same name? Then their parents spend just as much time and effort picking it out for them!
Our culture today is in the midst of a silly little battle regarding names: You either hear that your name is too unique, or not unique enough. We think it's weird when people name their offspring Banjo, but also raise an eyebrow at babies named John. You can't have it both ways, world. In fact, when it comes to naming MY baby, you can't have your way at all.
I, for one, am from the unique name school. My name being Jennifer, I hated having 86 other girls with the same name in my kindergarten class. My boys have unique names. And boy did people give us an earful. But guess what? They can name their kids whatever they want. These are mine. My precious, my own. Their names are awesome and were chosen with meaning and purpose. My obstetrician had a horse with the same name as my oldest son. Did that stop me? No. My dear friend who suggested this topic is currently keeping her second son's name a secret to avoid the very backlash that comes from announcing a baby name. Precious grandparents with suggestions? If that name wasn't good enough to use on me, why on earth would I use it for this baby?!
Opinions are like.... well, you know the saying. So unless I'm planning on naming my baby a profane expletive, and maybe even then, keep your opinions, relations, relationships, coworkers, favorite Wonder Pets, and teenage rivalries to yourself.

Incidentally, the baby I'm carrying that is causing these rants is as-yet unnamed. When we figure out who is in there, expect it to be unique. Just call the baby by their name and we'll be good.

3 comments:

Andrea said...

I think Ricklesiastes is adorable. :) haha Can't wait to hear what y'all finally agree on!

Jen the Hormonal said...

I can't wait, either, haha!

ree said...

Knowing you...I know your baby's name will be meaningful, unique, and cute all at the same time! YAY! I can't wait! :)