Monday, August 15, 2011

Shaving Our Legs.

I have been blessed this time around in that I am due in the winter. Oh happy day! But I have not been so lucky before, nor have countless other pregnant women. Already the excessive heat of summer is misery-inducing to pregnant women, what with all the extra body heat we're producing on our own, the swelling, the fear of boiling the baby inside our bellies. But then add the absolute nightmare of having the upkeep of Summer Fabulous legs and toes. We can't hide Hairy and the Hendersons under pants, or else we'll melt. And so we must do the Humpty Dance - not the one from the 90's, but the actual Humpty Dumpty might have a great fall Dance. The precious little darling you're carring is RIGHT in the way of reaching down, reaching around... reaching anywhere. Shaving your legs becomes an Olympic event that leaves you frustrated, out of breath, sore, and most likely bleeding. We have to heave and ho, rock back and forth, gaining enough momentum to lunge forward and swing back, all while wielding a RAZOR. Same goes for painting our little piggies. Try pulling off a salon-worthy pedicure when you're coming at your toes like a pendulum, holding a dripping polish brush. I asked my husband to paint my toes for me once... Once.
We have an ENORMOUS exercise ball that our boys love to play with. They run at it, jump on top with their bellies, and let the ball roll them around, completely at the mercy of whichever direction the ball wants to take them, unable to reach the floor with their limbs to put the brakes on. It's just like that when you try to shave your legs with a pregnant belly. Except the exercise ball doesn't push into their bladder and lungs and make them have to pee and catch their breath.
And so I am thankful for the blessed winter arrival of Baby Question Mark. I can hide under pants. I can wear close-toed shoes. And you can't judge me!

No comments: